Criteria & Process
It is the mission of the Admissions Department of the College Internship Program to promote and facilitate the enrollment of students diagnosed with learning differences and high-functioning autism spectrum disorders deemed appropriate for admission. Applications are individually assessed to determine both eligibility and their fit within the student population.
Full Year Program
CIP’s full-year postsecondary programs provide young adults with Asperger’s, High-Functioning Autism, ADHD, Nonverbal and other Learning Differences with the social, academic, career and life skills necessary for success. This year round residential program teaches social skills and strategies for executive functioning, as well as offers academic, career and independent living supports. Students learn important skills while focusing on goals which may include attending nearby colleges, developing careers through participation in internships and jobs, and learning the skills to live happy and productive lives.
- Ages 18 to 26 years old
- Documented diagnosis of Asperger’s syndrome, High-Functioning Autism, PDD-NOS, ADHD, NLD, Dyslexia or other Learning Differences
- High level of motivation to meet program goals
- Low average to high intelligence
- Potential to live and attend college or career program independently
- Emotional, behavioral, and psychologically stability
Admission dates are ideally scheduled to begin during CIP’s 2-week orientation in August. CIP’s rolling admissions process means that students can also be admitted throughout the year. Students are most commonly admitted for Fall (in August) and Spring (in January). Starting dates are unique to each program site and based on the calendars of local area colleges.
Early Deadline: January 1
Priority Deadline: April 30
Students will be accepted after the deadline if space allows at the requested program site. If space is not available at the requested program site, the student and family will have the option to consider enrollment at any other program site that may have space available. If the student and family wish to enroll to a program site that is filled, the student will be placed on a first-come-first-served waiting list, subject to availability of appropriate housing.
This information is essential in ascertaining whether CIP is a good match for your student.
- Fully completed application
- A nonrefundable application processing fee
- Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC) or Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS) (no more than two years prior to application)
- Woodcock Johnson Achievement or Wechsler Individual Achievement Test (WIAT) (no more than two years prior to application)
- Current Psychological Evaluation/Mental Status Exam
- Completed Parent Questionnaire
- 2 Letters of reference
- Official High School Transcripts/Previous College Transcripts
- Student Photo
- Latest IEP (if applicable)
- Application copy for your records
Once review of the application is complete and it is felt there is a match between CIP and the student, the National Admissions Coordinator will extend an invitation to the student to interview at the program site with members of the admissions committee. The interview and assessment process takes place in person and may take several hours. Families can expect a decision within two weeks.
Enrollment and Contracts
In order to secure your slot a fully executed contract and payment must be provided to the national admissions office. Once payment and contract are received an enrollment packet with documents required for the students enrollment will be forwarded to the family. These documents should be completed and returned to the program site no later than the first day of attendance. It is the policy of the College Internship Program to admit and treat all individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin or sexual preference.
CIP can accept foreign students (non-US citizens) with an M1 or F1 status at the following locations:
- CIP Berkshire, Massachusetts
- CIP Brevard, Florida
- CIP Bloomington, Indiana
- CIP Berkeley, California
Visit our application page to apply to a Full Year and/or Summer Program.